Living with the Truth Stranger than Fiction This Is Not About What You Think Milligan and Murphy Making Sense

Wednesday 9 March 2016

#625


Quality Goods



As a parting gift
she gave me a pure truth
in a presentation box.

I'd never seen one before
and it made a nice paperweight.

Then one day it broke in half
and I thought
how useful to have two.


8 November 1988
 
  

Are half-truths better than whole truths? It’s basically what I’m asking. I don’t think we’re capable of telling “the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.” We’d like to. Often we try to but even if we try to keep things simple with a Yes or a No answer that yes or no will be based on what we think we’re being asked. Do you love me? Yes. I love you like a sister. Not my sister. My mate’s sister. She’s hot.

Of course the line that jumps out at me is the opening one. When people leave they often feel they can be more honest than they’d been when they were with you which mostly means telling you a few home truths but, occasionally, you get to hear you were more to them than you realised and that can be nice but either way the effect of most truths is short-lived in my experience

1 comment:

Kass said...

Short, profound poem.

I like that this paper weight was a parting gift and was found doubly useful when broken.

Ping services